Practicing orthodontics is one of the cornerstones in my life. It has afforded me the opportunity to help other people while doing something that I enjoy. I am deeply honored to practice orthodontics and to gain the trust and respect of so many people. It has certainly been one of the great blessings in my life.
I am most passionate about improving the lives of others through the work that I do — giving great, healthy smiles. I know that a beautiful smile boosts self-esteem and confidence and can lead to a better quality of life. I have seen the life-altering effect dentistry has on people and I am honored to be able to contribute to their success.
I enjoy meeting new people and helping them achieve their goal of a beautiful smile. As a result I help them reach goals in other areas of their lives. It gives me a great deal of satisfaction to know that I am using my talents in a positive manner that affects so many people. Every person is unique and has a different combination of needs, desires, and goals. I relish the opportunity to be able to assist in any way I can.
Education and Experience
- Certificate of Proficiency in Orthodontics — Howard University, Washington, D.C.
- Doctorate of Dental Surgery — School of Dentistry, Meharry Medical College, Nashville, Tennessee
- Bachelor of Science degree — Morehouse College, Atlanta, Georgia
- High School diploma, class valedictorian — G.W. Carver High School, Montgomery, Alabama
After graduating from dental school in 1970, I served as a dental officer for two years before entering my specialty training in 1972. In 1974 I began working as a public health dentist in Lakeland, Florida and in 1975, I opened my private orthodontic practice in Tampa, Florida. I maintained both careers for 27 years and am now giving my full attention to Marsh Orthodontics.
I participate in many forms of continuing education to stay current with the latest advances in dental treatments and technology. This translates into better care for my patients and a better trained team to help in their care. My patients deserve the very best that dentistry has to offer. Additionally, I belong to a number of professional organizations that have continuing education as one of their primary goals. My participation occurs at meetings nationally and internationally. I have given lectures in the past at some of the meetings to provide pertinent information to those attending.
- American Dental Association
- American Association of Orthodontists
- Southern Association of Orthodontists
- Florida Dental Association
- Central Florida Orthodontic Study Club
- Hillsborough County Dental Association
- Sunshine State Dental Association
- Florida Medical, Dental and Pharmaceutical Association
- Tampa Bay Area Dental Association
- Continental Orthodontic Study Club
- World Federation of Orthodontists
- American College of Forensic Examiners
- International College of Dentists
A Team Dedicated to Success
My excellent team will go the extra mile to provide a warm and friendly atmosphere. They have a combined total of more than 100 years of experience in the dental field. Most team members have had orthodontic treatment and understand the processes involved. They are knowledgeable and are delighted to answer any questions or concerns our patients may have.
Outside the Office
I am a native of Montgomery, Alabama and have been proud to call Tampa my home for the past 38 years. I am happily married to my wonderful wife, Joyce, and I have two grown children, Laryssia and Jonathan, and a grandson, Ari. My leisure activities include reading, traveling, and spending time with my family and friends. I love fishing, biking, hiking, and anything that allow me to enjoy the great outdoors.
As I have lived in the Tampa community the majority of my life, I have participated in many activities and organizations whose goal is to improve the lives of those less fortunate. I actively support many worthwhile causes, including:
- The Boys and Girls Club
- Belmont Heights Little League
- Project Hope
- March of Dimes
- Muscular Dystrophy Association
- Boy Scouts of America
- WEDU Public Television